Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
25 posts
None
Breakpoint not working after live rebuild
So, I´ve just migrate to Windows 10 and VS Comunity and things are a little wierd with life coding.

At first it was working fine with the VS reloading an altered file and all breakpoints were functioning corretly.
But than there were a window alert saing the new code couldn´t be reloaded and I basicaly ignored.

The code changed colors and now every time I rebuild the game with it running the breakpoints dont work any more.

PS: I´m at day 70.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Have you modified how build.bat manages pdb files & lock file handling is happening?
Did window said "new code" cann't be loaded, or new pdb file? If it was about pdb file then maybe something is wrong with pdb lock handling in build.bat (or your reload code).
Check what pdb file for game dll is loaded after game dll is reloaded. You can do that in "Modules" window.
25 posts
None
Edited by ThadeuMelo on
I have "handmade_temp" and "Win32_HandMade_hero.exe" listed in modules with symbols loaded for both.

I haven´t changed nothing from before the transiction to my new PC. I just notice that the Breakpoints seted before the rebuild don´t work, but if I add new ones they work just fine.

Edit :

Got the message again, it is: This source file has changed. It no long matches the version of the file used to build the application being debugged.

Click OK

And it seems to be working again.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
This message means you have modified current source file and haven't rebuilt binary.
MSVC debugger checks if any source file has change since time it was built into binary. If it has, then it looses ability to put breakpoints (or anything related to debug info).
You need to rebuild source and/or avoid modifying source files while debugging.