Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
ernes
1 posts
Visual Studio problems when moving into another machine
Edited by ernes on Reason: img url
Hello guys,

Hope it's alright to ask this kind of question here.
I've recently moved to another machine that is used to follow handmade hero streams.
The problem is, when I was debugging it, sometimes when it's crash, it didn't show the current line that is crashing, just showing the top callstacks.

Example:
on handmade_asset.cpp, an assert hits on DoLoadSound().
Callstack only shows the tops stack that I can inspect, a call to Entry.Callback(WorkQueue, Entry.Data);

The rest are just ntldll.dll that I cannot inspect.
img

I'm guessing this could be because of missing symbols and pdb, but the pdb file is exist on the same directory with the executable.

Anything that I'm probably missing? Might be something that Casey always do to breakpoint into function call with Visual Studio Debug->New Breakpoint->Break at function to try to load the file, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your time!
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2570 posts / 2 projects
Visual Studio problems when moving into another machine
Your pdb for executable is fine, because it shows Line 944 for DoNextWorkEntry function. Line numbers are available only with pdb symbol file.

Click on line with ntdll (and any other system dll file you see in call stack) right mouse button and choose "Load symbols" (or something similar). It will make Visual Studio to download pdb file for ntdll from Microsoft servers and call stack will be more accurate. Maybe then you'll see what is wrong.