Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Iker Murga
43 posts
Pre-stream discussions
(I figure most people on the board now this already, but in case someone isn't aware of it...)

For anyone that is following the youtube archives (whether due to timezone differences or becasue they are lagging behind) I highly recommend if you have the time to check out the twitch archives which include the pre stream q&a . I tend to watch the Youtube archives due to the time difference, but the few times I have checked out the twitch archives I have seen some very interesting pre stream discussion.

If you only want to follow the process of the project it is not necessary, but there are definitely some interesting rants / extra info thrown in there.
Livet Ersomen Strøm
163 posts
Pre-stream discussions
Thanks. I didn't know that. But the only way I am able to see those, for the moment, is if they can be downloaded, before viewing. I very much would like to see them. So could someone upload them to YT?
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Pre-stream discussions
The pre-stream discussions are meant to be more ephemeral, so they are not recorded "for posterity" :) You can still get them within 2 weeks by going to Twitch and looking at handmade_hero's "past videos". That is the raw footage that was broadcast on Twitch.

- Casey
Livet Ersomen Strøm
163 posts
Pre-stream discussions
Thanks.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Pre-stream discussions
Kladdehelvete
But the only way I am able to see those, for the moment, is if they can be downloaded, before viewing.

You can use youtube-dl to download videos from twitch archive. Just pass url to python script (or executable) and it will automatically figure out where is video file in this url.
Livet Ersomen Strøm
163 posts
Pre-stream discussions
mmozeiko
Kladdehelvete
But the only way I am able to see those, for the moment, is if they can be downloaded, before viewing.

You can use youtube-dl to download videos from twitch archive. Just pass url to python script (or executable) and it will automatically figure out where is video file in this url.

Thank you. I already found a fix for it, so I am good. But is this script able to download all of it, (all the videos at once) from a single link? And in such a way that it will keep on trying if a download fails? That's the tool I really want. Bcs my connection is randomly broken, for random timeperiods. (which i can tell you is a source of infinite "joy").
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Pre-stream discussions
Yes, by default youtube-dl resumes interrupted downloads. Not sure if it can download whole twich archive for one user, never tried it. For youtube channles or user uploads it can download all videos.
3 posts
Pre-stream discussions
Are there pre-stream discussions everyday? I watched the first few minutes of the archived day 19 stream but it seemed to be empty.

It'd be nice if there were a list of days when there was a pre-stream discussion. I usually watch the videos on Youtube but I'm very interested in watching some of the pre-stream discussions as well.
Kasper Sauramo
19 posts
Pre-stream discussions
samrat
Are there pre-stream discussions everyday?

Some days do, some days don't. If you're going through each video it's a bit hit and miss. Sometimes there's a few questions, sometimes there's pretty good discussion and and sometimes there's an hour of silence. It's a relaxed thing which can be pretty much anything. Because the videos only last for the few weeks, cataloging them all would be semi-pointless. All actual material is being uploaded (the Emacs shortcuts stream for example). If you're really interested in knowing everything that has happened but can't actually get to the pre-stream, I'd say the best bet is to ask on twitch chat if there was anything interesting on that day.
Livet Ersomen Strøm
163 posts
Pre-stream discussions
cmuratori
The pre-stream discussions are meant to be more ephemeral, so they are not recorded "for posterity" :) You can still get them within 2 weeks by going to Twitch and looking at handmade_hero's "past videos". That is the raw footage that was broadcast on Twitch.

- Casey

Are these no longer available? I cant find them :/
Andrew Chronister
194 posts / 1 project
Developer, administrator, and style wrangler
Pre-stream discussions
Kladdehelvete

Are these no longer available? I cant find them :/

Check here -- it's the first 10-20 minutes of every video.
Livet Ersomen Strøm
163 posts
Pre-stream discussions
Thank you.
Juliano
11 posts
Pre-stream discussions
Is it really not possible to upload those somewhere? I am also not able to follow the streams live, but I was interested in some of those discussions.