Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Tim Kane
23 posts
Twitter: Tim_Rex_
Removal of meta-programming introspection
So I notice in Episode 257, Casey removed the compile and run step for simple_preprocessor, and the resulting includes for handmade_generated.h because we weren't using them anymore..

Fair enough.. If I recall correctly, this was originally used for introspection support for structs in the debug system.

I blazed through some of the later debug episodes pretty quickly, but I don't think we replaced that functionality with anything. Did I miss an episode where this functionality was somehow replaced? Or was it just not considered necessary for HMH?

I guess it was just for demonstration purposes - but it opened my eyes up to meta-programming.
Pretty sure my first exposure to meta-programming was Pro*C - not sure if that counts? It was a looong time ago, I totally blocked it out.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Removal of meta-programming introspection
We're not going to use any meta-programming stuff in Handmade Hero. It's sort of a "next" topic, similar to 3D, where I think mastering the basics first is necessary before moving on. I did that one-off stream just as a demonstration because so many people asked how it worked :)

- Casey