Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Benson Yang
2 posts
Can't compile latest Handmade Hero
Hey guys, I'm unable to compile the latest Handmade Hero using the latest codebase (day 256). I just installed a fresh copy of VS2015 community on a fresh Win10 install. I'm still relatively new to programming so I'm stuck on what to do. I've attached the buildlog below.

What sticks out to me is error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file generated. It shows both while compiling simple_preprocessor.cpp/handmade_intrinsics.h.

I also get another error: error C3861: 'META_HANDLE_TYPE_DUMP': identifier not found while on handmade_debug.cpp

I've been away from the project for far too long (since week 6), so I want to get involved again. Thanks!
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2570 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
If you are using VS2015 then warnings are expected. VS2015 compiler warns about new stuff that Casey doesn't see on the stream - he is using VS2013.

Fixing warnings can be made easier by "hiding" them with compiler flag it tells you in the output log (/Wv:18). But it won't solve all warnings. Those which will be left you'll need to fix it or downgrade to VS2013.

As for META_HANDLE_TYPE_DUMP, it is defined in handmade_generated.h But because build of simple_preprocessor.exe failed, the build.bat file overwrote handmade_generated.h file (it should be empty for you now). So don't worry about this error. First fix everything so simple_preprocessor.exe builds successfully, and then you'll get correct handmade_generated.h file (or simply extract it from zip file if you want to see how it looks now).
Benson Yang
2 posts
Sure, I guess I'll try to fix it. Thanks