Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Zachary
17 posts
"Generating" Data structures (Day 140)
@Casey

On Day 140, you mention you normally don't hand-roll linked-lists that require arbitrary deletion, but rather "generate them as needed".

Knowing your views on templates, do you roll your own special-sauce metaprogramming technique? If so, could you potentially elaborate?

Sorry if this comes up later in the series, I am behind.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Yes, generally speaking once you have a meta pass in your build, you can just generate whatever you want, so if you want linked lists, you just generate them. It's like templates without the suck :)

- Casey
Zachary
17 posts
Edited by Zachary on
@Casey

Thanks for getting back to me - I had a feeling this was the case.

That being said, when I think about how I would go about adding a meta pass to generate code, my ideas mostly converge to something that very much resembles C++'s templating system (a consequence, I think, of being raised on templates, making it hard to think outside the box).

Do you mind elaborating/giving any tips on what degrees of freedom you seek to exploit with metaprogramming to give yourself more power/flexibility/control in the code generation?

Thanks
- Zach
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Well really you don't even need to do anything "more" than what C++ attempts to do in order for it to be better than C++. Just the fact that the code comes out plainly readable and can be controlled with more straighforward syntax is more than enough reason to use a metaprogramming approach instead of templates!

- Casey
511 posts
cmuratori
Well really you don't even need to do anything "more" than what C++ attempts to do in order for it to be better than C++. Just the fact that the code comes out plainly readable and can be controlled with more straighforward syntax is more than enough reason to use a metaprogramming approach instead of templates!

- Casey

One thing I miss when using templates is seeing the templated code after the template parameters are known and inserted and having the error messages point to that code (possibly in a nicer format).

makes me wonder... Do "precompiled" headers also include the instantiated templated (like template specializations) to avoid recompiling them again and again?
Zachary
17 posts
@Casey

Thanks for getting back to me. I cheated, skipped ahead, and watched your special stream on implementing introspection with metaprogramming. Very neat stuff - probably should have done that first.

Anyways, thanks again, and look forward to some more episodes in the future - keep up the great work :)

- Zach