We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Hero»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Windows GetClientRect returning wrong size
Edited by Jason on
For my C++ program I'm trying to query my window's size through WINAPI's GetClientRect() function. However, it's returning a window that is slightly smaller than I originally setup. Here is the window setup stuff:

//Creation of window
        WNDCLASS WindowProperties {};
        WindowProperties.style = CS_OWNDC | CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; //TODO: Check if OWNDC/HREDRAW/VEDRAW matter
        WindowProperties.lpfnWndProc = Win32::ProgramWindowCallback;
        WindowProperties.hInstance = CurrentProgramInstance;
        WindowProperties.lpszClassName = "MemoWindowClass";

if (RegisterClass(&WindowProperties))
        {
            HWND window= CreateWindowEx(0, WindowProperties.lpszClassName, "My Program", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | WS_VISIBLE,
                CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, globalWindowWidth, globalWindowHeight, 0, 0, CurrentProgramInstance, 0);

//more code

globalWindowWidth/Height are both set to 1280 and 720 respectively. Later on, in the WM_PAINT event, I get the window dimensions through this function which ultimately calls GetClientRect():

Window_Dimension GetWindowDimension(HWND window)
    {
        Window_Dimension Result;

RECT ClientRect;
        GetClientRect(window, &ClientRect);
        Result.width = ClientRect.right - ClientRect.left;
        Result.height = ClientRect.bottom - ClientRect.top;

return(Result);
    };

When called, GetClientRect returns a 'right' value of 1264 and 'bottom' value of 681, despite me wanting values of 1280 and 720. Why is this occurring?

EDIT:

After some research I found that this might have something to do with the CreateWindowEx call and the fact that is calculates total window size (includes window borders, title bar, etc.). So when I grab a client rect, it subtracts the window title bar and borders from the final pixel values. I find a function 'AdjustWindowRectEx' for which I'm trying to use:

DWORD windowStyles = WS_VISIBLE;
        RECT rect = { 0, 0, (LONG)globalWindowWidth, (LONG)globalWindowHeight };
        BOOL success = AdjustWindowRectEx(&rect, windowStyles, false, 0);

However, my rect doesn't seem to be adding in additional border and title bar pixel values so I'm still stuck.
18 posts
Edited by William on
I think you just need to specify the rest of the styles you are using to create the window for AdjustWindowRectEx.

WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW includes
WS_OVERLAPPED | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_THICKFRAME | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX
, but the documentation says not to specify WS_OVERLAPPED.

Alternatively, I think you could use GetWindowRect.
321 posts / 1 project
None
Have you tried GetWindowRect instead?
Jason
235 posts
@William Ah, that was it. I wasn't specifying all the styles correctly. Thanks William!