Handmade Hero » Forums » Game » Keyboards for the hand made heros?
itzjac
13 posts
#14849 Keyboards for the hand made heros?
3 months, 1 week ago Edited by itzjac on April 6, 2018, 5:31 p.m. Reason: Initial post

Hi,

Not sure if the topic of the title would fit in this section of the forum, feel free to delete it if that's the case. I prefer to hear the opinion of real handmade heros: colleagues that really type code and not just play games or are IT managers.

My ideal keyboard has a US layout, bit ENTER key, compact. Whether mechanical or not, is really not important, I also know that the less pressure we use the better for our posture, which makes mechanical a worse choice for me. I had some health and posture issues and I got recommended to avoid the mechanical ones.

These two are my winners so far

Topre Realforce
HyperX

Share your personal preference and why, it would be also nice to know what is Mr. Muratori's personal preference :)

I believe I can get great feedback in this community.

Cheers!
debiatan
Miguel Lechón
61 posts
#14851 Keyboards for the hand made heros?
3 months, 1 week ago

I think you'll enjoy the Jeff and Casey show on keyboards.

My personal choice is the IBM M4-1, the standalone version of the IBM L40sx laptop keyboard. The M4 has short key travel and it's soft but not mushy. Key weight varies depending on the manufacturer (unicomp, lexmark, keytronic) and year of production. I have a newish black lexmark which is on the soft side and an older white keytronic with a firmer touch. The trackpoint is not good by today's standards, but it's easy to ignore. The thing I would change about them is the placement of the right alt key, which should be one key to the left to fall under the right thumb when the right index finger is on the 'j' key.

I've used other mechanical keyboards in the past (topre, cherry blue and brown) and a few thinkpads (2002 and 2010 models) and I still prefer the M4. The one's on ebay right now are a bit expensive, but you can get one for around $30-$60 from time to time.

itzjac
13 posts
#14853 Keyboards for the hand made heros?
3 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for sharing the podcast, I was sure Casey had covered this ... there ya go.

M4, that's an interesting choice, maybe am lucky and I get one of those.
itzjac
13 posts
#14873 Keyboards for the hand made heros?
3 months, 1 week ago Edited by itzjac on April 8, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

Is there a second episode on the keyboard topic? I think a lot of time was spent talking about the "magical" Daskeyboard 5.
Maybe soon there will another update.

Mór
78 posts

None

#15051 Keyboards for the hand made heros?
2 months, 3 weeks ago Edited by Mór on April 23, 2018, 7:55 p.m.

IBM Model M and F keyboards are my favorites, however a super rare keyboard I've been wanting to try is the DataHand, but sadly the company closed its doors back in 2008. The last new ones came up for sale a couple of years back, for a paltry $2500 a piece. The reason people pay so much for them, is there are so few of them and they say the keyboard saves their careers from RSI. If you watch the movie Contact with Jodie Foster, you will see a pair on the chair inside the ball spaceship. They are the future that was lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzFqEqzhmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCh_Taf3y1U

None