Handmade Hero » Forums » Game » What happened to the lighting?
ryanlimyx
Ryan Lim
2 posts

<(._.)>

#14259 What happened to the lighting?
3 months, 1 week ago Edited by Ryan Lim on Feb. 13, 2018, 5:27 a.m. Reason: Initial post

I took a break from the HMH series and came back recently. When I downloaded and compiled the latest source, the game is HELLA laggy! Even on my gaming laptop with a GTX1060, it is almost unplayable and quite unresponsive. I think the problem lies in using raytracing for lighting.

Casey, are there any plans to bring the game back to it’s good ol’ 60fps state? Or do we have to accept this decreased performance as a compromise for good lighting?
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1667 posts
1 project
#14260 What happened to the lighting?
3 months, 1 week ago Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on Feb. 13, 2018, 5:30 a.m.

That's how OpenGL development looks like. It works fine on one machine, terrible on another. Currently Casey is testing only on his machine where everything works fine. Until he'll start checking performance/behavior on different machines, this is how it will be. It's up to you to profile / analyze what is wrong.

Btw, if it is a laptop, did you check that game is really using Nvidia, and not Intel GPU?
ryanlimyx
Ryan Lim
2 posts

<(._.)>

#14265 What happened to the lighting?
3 months, 1 week ago

I managed to turn on the dedicated GPU for all applications. But still, on Casey’s stream, the game takes about 30-45 ms per frame. Seems quite far from 60fps (16.66 ms).
BillDStrong
Bill Strong
47 posts
#14274 What happened to the lighting?
3 months, 1 week ago

I think I remember him leaving it in debug mode. You might check if that is the case.