Handmade Hero»Forums»Game
60 posts
None
Thank you Casey, and an idea for a new game
Edited by erpeo93 on
Hi all.
It took me a while, but at the end I've finally decided to write this post.
The first reason I'm writing is that I would like to sincerely thanks Casey for what is doing.
I think that the knowledge he has in game development and programming in general is simply awesome, and the way he shares it with us is even more awesome.
Essentially all the useful things I know about developing games is due to the fact that I've decided to follow handmade hero, and that knowledge has already allowed me to make a complete game, from scratch of course, for android and iOS. (it's a simple puzzle game, and I will be releasing it in the next days, I'll surely let you know when that happen).
So again, thanks for all you are doing, I hope you'll reach all your goals with this and other projects.

(OT: Do you have italian origin? because Muratori sounds A LOT like an italian language... )

Now, let's talk about the second reason of this post.
I'm thinking about making another game, obviusly more complicated than my first game, and I think that it will be to big to realize for just one person.
Let me start saing that I am a big big fan of RPG's: even if I'm 23, I had the incredible luck to play with an amiga: that allowed me to play great games like "eye of the beholder", "black crypt", "dungeon master", "captive", "Perihelion", ecc.
Of course I've also enjoyed all the great RPG's from 2000's: FFVII, VIII, X, "the witcher", "Diablo", "morrowind", "Ghotic", and many more.
I'm also a big fan of roguelike/survival: "don't starve", "the binding of isaac", "minecraft", "fallout" ecc.
So I think I have a good all around understanding of RPG in general.

(I hope I've made yourself revive your memory with this long list... :) )

But let's get to the point: my intention is to build a 2D rpg with a consistent survival component (pick don't starve as an example), but with a great "levelling" system, that will take many concepts from that of Diablo 2. (I think that it remains the best level system of all time) Of course the goal is to center the game on crafting and looting, like any other respectable RPG.
The view will be substantially top-down, slightly "twisted" (pick that of handmade hero or zelda link to the past as examples) and the setting, of course, will be strictly fantasy, but not too cartoonish or darkish. (let's say half way between don't starve and zelda).

The main platform will be windows, android and iOS, and if all goes well I'm planning to add a big multiplayer support, something like 30-40 player in the same world at the same time.

I know that you're laughing at me, but don't worry, the development will be incrementally (of course):
We'll first develop the simplest single-player we can imagine, then we'll pass to a more sophisticated singleP, and finally we'll implements multiplayer if we can and all goes well.

Now let's talk about the "contract" aspect (of course there is no contract, it will start as an hobby project): I'm planning to code from 30 to 32 hours/week, so it will be something like a 3/4 of a full time work.
Of course it's possible that the project is too big for two programmers plus artirts, so I have to take into account from the beginning the possibility of re-demensioning the goals.
I'm basically searching another programmer to help me code the beast: I have no particular request, the only one is to love making games of course, and have a decent experience with low level programming, but also with game programming. ( I mean, if you have watched a decent number of episodes of HMH then you're in). Of course it will be a big, big plus if you have published even a simple game, or if you've developed one by yourself.
I'm searching for someone able to dedicate AT LEAST 22/23 hours/week.
My idea is to try finish the simple single player in 12-14 months, an then decide how to proceed.

For what concerns the artirts, I've got a couple of friends that are really good ad drawing, but I'm open to any other possibility. (we could hire someone or we could decide to learn and make it by ourself LOL ).
Of course the revenues (if any) will be equally divided, such as the cost for artist or other things.
I'm not very interested in money, so that will surely not be a problem.
Obviusly at a certain point in the development we could decide to lunch a kickstarter campaign or something similar, we'll see how it goes.
Again, I can not guarantee any money for me nor for you, but I'm sure that if the game ends up being more or less like I'm imagining it, it will have success. (the vast majority of 2D rpg for android and iOS are ridiculus right now).
In any case, even if I don't find anyone, I will start the project by september.

One last thing. For now, I've written this post just here on handmade hero's forum, because I know that here the vast majority of the people loves to make engines, and does not want to depend from preexistring engines ecc.
So you have a sort of "preemption" I would say: think about it and let me know by the end of august at: [email protected]
Of course contact me also if you want to know more about the game, I've written down a lot more about the gameplay than what I've said here.

Sorry for the reeeeally long post, but I absolute want to clarify every aspect of the project, so you have more information as possible and you're able to make the best decision.
I also hope that I'm not braking any of the forum rules with this post, really I'm doing it with benevolent intention just to find someone to code with, and I did not mean to infringe any rule or to be disrespectful with Casey or any other person.

Sorry for my awful english, But I ensure that my speech skills are even more awful.
Have a nice day,
Leonardo
Connor
52 posts
It's been so long ;)
Sounds like a big undertaking! Sadly, there are two reasons I cannot do this.

1. Too young :-(
2. Not enough experience (I haven't release my own game yet)

But I wish you the best of luck on finding someone and completing your project!

- Connor
Scott Hunt
41 posts
Father, Thinker, Mechanical Engineer @NASA, and C/C++ Hobby Enthusiast / @TexxStudio
Edited by Scott Hunt on
Sounds like a fun undertaking!

Wish I could commit that amount of time to the project, but I'm sure you'll find some great talent here in the handmade community.

BTW, Congrats on your new app as well!

60 posts
None
Thank you guys, I can't wait to start developing the game, I really hope to find someone to share this adventure.

As promised, yesterday I released my puzzle game. search for "The Blackest Game" on an android device, and enjoy it. :)
60 posts
None
Connor_Rentz
Sounds like a big undertaking! Sadly, there are two reasons I cannot do this.

1. Too young :-(
2. Not enough experience (I haven't release my own game yet)

But I wish you the best of luck on finding someone and completing your project!

- Connor

Looking forward to hear from you when you are ready. :)