Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
15 posts
Scratching my head and looking at tall the complexity, the only way that I can explain it it Stockholm syndrome, some just love to need it.
Getting up and running on arm architecture
Edited by iain on

Hello, I've been following along with handmade hero on a x86 machine, I'm now trying to get a build working on arm, still on day one and getting some WMVC compilation errors that I've no idea how to solve. Currently running windows 11 inside a VM on a Mac.

The visual studio includes are massive now, as I'm trying to find which package I need to include the lib uuid.lib, which is the error that I'm getting.

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'uuid.lib'

I'd really appreciate some help in getting the #include <windows.h> header working.

Thanks in advance.

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2568 posts / 2 projects

What is WMVC compilation?

Is this coming from default cl/link command? If so, then you probably don't have windows sdk selected in VS Installer - check that it is installed. In general you want to select "Desktop development with C++" workload.

15 posts
Scratching my head and looking at tall the complexity, the only way that I can explain it it Stockholm syndrome, some just love to need it.
Replying to mmozeiko (#29500)

I've been playing about with this a bit for a few days, not been able to get my old code to run. The SDK was linked but it was still missing a lib uuid.lib and I could not find that anywhere in the Visual Studio folder, I've been trying a top down approach using the VS default desktop app setup and also with cmake but I've not been able to get the compile going.

I may try following along from the start again, to see if I can figure it out bit by bit, but already in the first episode, it would seem that the startup folder technique no longer works on windows 11, the script runs but has no effect, am setting the subst manually on startup at the moment.

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2568 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
Replying to iain (#29506)

uuid.lib is not in Visual Studio folder, because it is part of Windows SDK (which is installed from VS installer as extra option). Here it is in my installation for arm64 target:

image.png

Not sure what is "startup folder technique", but everything that is in first HH episodes still works on Windows 11.

I would not recommend doing subst way. It just confuses many tools, including editors and debuggers. I guarantee you that you will have problems later with it. Imho it is not worth it. Just create short path on your C: drive, like c:\w or c:\dev and put everything there.

15 posts
Edited by iain on
Replying to mmozeiko (#29507)

Oh that is the placing of the startup.bat file in the appropriate folder for setting the w: drive on windows start up.

I've just found a Visual Studio tutorial for getting win7 code running as a win32 example projects and this has got me to install and older VS versions MSVC v142. This seems promising, I think my windows 11 SDK does not older than windows 10 API code, and that this is the current problem.

I think when I work through these tutorials; I should be able to figure it out. Thank you for your kind response, hopefully this will pin it down.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/learnwin32/creating-a-window

I've had to tell VS not to update the code, which it tried to do, and then it guided me to installing the older API package.

Right, noted on the 'don't make the :W path', I'll start using the user/source/repos folder, I think.