Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Zoltan Stomfai
8 posts
None
CL warning 9024
Hi there fellow Handmade Heroes!

I've just started the series, and not a big fan of emacs. Trying to find a better fitting editor and probably messed up something with the compiler, because I'm getting this error:
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 18.00.31101 for x64
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type 'C:\Program', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type 'Files', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type '(x86)\Microsoft', object file assu
med
cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type 'Visual', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type 'Studio', object file assumed
cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type '12.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat', object fil
e assumed
cl : Command line warning D9024 : unrecognized source file type 'x64', object file assumed
win32_handmade.cpp
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 12.00.31101.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

/out:Program.exe
/debug
C:\Program
Files
(x86)\Microsoft
Visual
Studio
12.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat
x64
win32_handmade.obj
user32.lib
gdi32.lib
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'C:\Program.obj'

Tried to google, also checked the forum here, but no luck.
Any help really appreciated!

PS:
Thank you Casey! :)
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
CL warning 9024
Show us the commandline you are invoking. Probably forgot to put something in quotes.
Zoltan Stomfai
8 posts
None
CL warning 9024
Sorry, meant to do it but forgot. :)

Command prompt:
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /k w:\shell.bat and the starting point is W:\

shell.bat:
@echo off
call "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat" x64
set path=W:\misc;%path%

buid.bat:
@echo off
pushd ..\..\build
cl -Zi ..\code\win32_handmade.cpp user32.lib gdi32.lib
popd

Additional info:
W: has four directories in the root (build, code, data, misc), I am not using handmade\build, handmade\code etc.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
CL warning 9024
Looks fine to me. Not sure what is issue here.
Maybe invoking shell.bat with /K argument? Try running shell.bat directly with mouse double click and stick cmd.exe at end of it to keep shell open.
Zoltan Stomfai
8 posts
None
CL warning 9024
Shell.bat is invoked with /k

It seems to me, the CL getting somehow the path to the vcvarsall.bat... That is strange, since I never passed to it. :(
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
CL warning 9024
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
Well yes, it's invoked with /K. Maybe that's the problem? Try running cl.exe without invoking anything with "/K".

Another option - cl.exe implicitly uses "CL" environment variable for extra command line arguments. Maybe somebody had set "CL" env variable for you?
Zoltan Stomfai
8 posts
None
CL warning 9024
Removed /K not helped...
Tomorrow I am moving, but in the evening probably can check the CL environment.
Until then any idea, is really appreciated! :)
Zoltan Stomfai
8 posts
None
CL warning 9024
One more thing:
I've tried to setup earlier a Handmade project in VS2013 Community edition, to use for editor, compiler and debugger, but later deleted it.
Is is possible that the VS left somewhere some info regarding the cl environment?
Zoltan Stomfai
8 posts
None
CL warning 9024
Ok, here is the solution (thank you Dot):

In the System environment there was a Variable with the path Value. Removed it and everything is working fine.

Thanks for the help.