I just completed the first 20 days of handmade hero as I followed along with Casey by watching him explain his thoughts and typing all the code on my own. I've enjoyed myself so far and I think I'm good for another 20 days, but we'll see where it goes. Here are some comments on these:
- Day 20 was the jankiest of all those days. Boy oh boy, I don't know how I managed to follow along, but I think my code is somewhat similar to Casey's code at that point.
- I'm using Visual Studio Code instead of emacs and with a few tweaks here and there, it seems to be working fine for me.
- I'm using a more recent version of Visual Studio Community and cl tool on Windows 10. There are a few minor differences but nothing that stopped me so far.
- It's a bit hard to keep my code in sync with Casey's code when I want to avoid watching the Q&A since he keeps on making changes in there. I might have skipped too much at some point and my code might have started diverging in a way that is going to be hard to reconcile later on.
- Getting sound right is much harder than i thought.
- I wish we would have seen more of the game code itself even if I enjoyed the platform stuff.
- I'm gettting many different ideas for new C/C++ projects while watching him. This is really entertaining and inspiring.
- I didn't get the preorder yet. I wanna see how much I can get and do on my own but it's just a matter of time before I do.
Good stuff. I hope it gets even better!