Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
50 posts
Recommendations for a Python IDE with debugger
Edited by itzjac on Reason: Initial post
Hello!

I am not so experienced in Python, managed to set up the Emacs to do some basic Python code and it works nice, but as the indentation gets more complex and more debugging is needed it seems more customization needs to be done in emacs. Before doing that I am asking for some other options.

I am looking for advice from people who have developed larger projects with Python in Windows, our team has used IDLE and the Visual Code both are ok-ish but not great.

Looking forward hearing back!

Regards
Mike
1 posts
Have you tried pycharm? https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/download

I've used it before on some largish django projects (On mac, not windows). I like Jetbrains products but the only downside is they cost a bit of money. There is a free trial so give it a try.
50 posts
Edited by itzjac on
Thanks for the hint.
No I haven't used it, but have heard of the JetBrains suite and seems it would contain everything we need.

There is a tricky part to figure out, the Python is loading a C++ dll, remains to be solved how to switch a debugging context from the Python language to C++. Maybe possible with JetBrains, thoughts?
Jesse
64 posts
Programmer at NASA GSFC
itzjac
Thanks for the hint.
No I haven't used it, but have heard of the JetBrains suite and seems it would contain everything we need.

There is a tricky part to figure out, the Python is loading a C++ dll, remains to be solved how to switch a debugging context from the Python language to C++. Maybe possible with JetBrains, thoughts?

At work, we often drive C libraries with Python, and the tooling, even for Python only code, is rather mediocre. Our C code exclusively operates on numpy arrays, making isolated C tests straightforward. Encode the numpy array as a C array and debug the C library as its own program with standard C debuggers of your choice.