Handmade Hero » Forums » Code » Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
andrewjdr
AndrewJDR
21 posts
#7599 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
1 year, 2 months ago

@mmozeiko I notice the mkvmerge trick does not reduce the video size as much as the post above seems to indicate.
Did you reduce the size of the videos and update btsync within the last month or so?
Just wanted to confirm!
Mór
40 posts
#9100 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
11 months ago Edited by on Oct. 26, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

miotatsu
So I have a seedbox and have btsync on it syncing the handmade hero content with you guys and I recently installed Plex on my server. If anyone has a Plex account I can add you as a friend and share the handmade hero folder. Plex lets you stream content to a large number of devices/through a web browser/etc. Don't know if that interests anyone but thought I'd throw it out there :)

I'm interested if you still have the videos on there.

What's the deal with www.plex.tv? Is it a pay service?
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1477 posts
1 project
#9104 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
11 months ago Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on Oct. 26, 2016, 4:50 p.m.

Plex provides free server/player software for videos/music/pictures. You can install it on your server and then provide access to other users for streaming (in web, mobile apps, rpi etc). It kind of gives way to create your own private Netflix running on your own PC. If you are familiar with XBMC (now Kodi), then Plex is a fork of XBMC with a focus on streaming instead of local playback.

You can create accounts for free on Plex. You have ability to pay for it to get access to more features, for example - downloading videos to device for offline viewing (super useful for plane trips). For basic viewing free account is enough.
miotatsu
岩倉 澪
110 posts
1 project

riscy.tv host

#9105 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
11 months ago Edited by 岩倉 澪 on Oct. 27, 2016, 3:32 a.m.

Oh yep, I still have handmade hero on my plex, for anyone interested: just make an account on plex.tv and message me your plex username and I will invite you to access it

edit: it looks like btsync had crashed on my seedbox, I just restarted it and it looks like it is trying to pull in ALL the files (including the 345 I already had...) so it may take a bit before it is caught back up again

edit edit: okay it is caught up :)
Brian
22 posts
#9272 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
10 months, 3 weeks ago

Someone already asked but I did not see a response: Are the HandmadeCon 2015 videos available?

I have setup both BitTorrent Syncs and I do not see them (though I did not download all the files).
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1477 posts
1 project
#9275 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
10 months, 3 weeks ago

You can get HandmadeCon videos with BC2KP7MYJJKPF4GK5M6ZEGHU77TYUEHXP key. I've put it on first post now.
For list of files (in case you want to use ignore list) look here: https://gist.github.com/mmozeiko/...f6e9a88cec10#file-handmadecon-txt
Brian
22 posts
#9278 Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
10 months, 3 weeks ago Edited by on Nov. 6, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

Thanks Martins, both for the key and the list. The program does not have a good interface, so having the list helps.

Do you have any tips for the program not completely killing ones internet?

I tried limiting the receiving/sending rate, but it does not appear to help. I would keep the sync up longer so others could sync, but with it killing my internet, I tend to just exit the program when it is done.
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1477 posts
1 project
#9279 Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hmm, I have used bandwidth limiting and it was working for me. Not sure what is wrong for you.
Don't worry if you cannot keep it running all the time. I keep it sharing from 4 different places 24/7, so there should be plenty of availability.
Brian
22 posts
#9817 Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
9 months, 1 week ago

Has anyone noticed an issue with the download speeds lately?

I know I've complained about the tool before, but my complaint was directed more at how unfriendly the UI is, and how it cripples my internet. It at least would download at a respectable rate and I just needed to leave it running overnight.

This weekend I upgraded the application to Resilio (from BitTorrent Sync) and now I get between 50 kb/s to 100 kb/s. I realize it is possible it is a coincidence that from since I've updated that the number of seeders may have dropped...but I was pretty sure I was syncing earlier that day getting over 1 mb/s. They did not do something dumb like you can only sync between the same versions?

The other thing is now I am unable to tell what it is actually trying to download. Anyone notice this? Before we would get .bts files in the sync folder to sort of watch the progress. The pre-stream sync I see empty rsls files, but they do not appear to ever update? The main handmade sync the only thing I've noticed there is from within the .sync folder, there are !sync files that are increasing, but due to how they are named, it is not easy to tell what is being downloaded.

Has anyone else ran into issues? Should I try to downgrade to BitTorrent Sync? I upgraded hoping it would address some of my issues...
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1477 posts
1 project
#9822 Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
9 months, 1 week ago Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on Dec. 15, 2016, 7:12 a.m.

Sorry, no idea. I can tell you that I have upgraded my machines to Resilio Sync once it came out. While I was doing that btsync was syncing with rslsync just fine. I get pretty good speeds between my machines. Currently I see 24 seeders active for main videos, so I don't think that's a problem. Have you tried removing folder and adding it again from scratch? I think you can keep the data in folder and it will resume downloading only pieces that are missing. Just erase ".sync" folder completely.

To determine what files rslsync is downloading, you can click on peer count and then on individual peers - then it will show on right side what files are uploading/downloading to selected peer.
Icyellerant
1 posts
#13139 Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
1 day, 8 hours ago

Sorry to bother guys, but i find this related thread about video downloading. I have a related question and i do not know whether or not i should post it here. I used videograbby (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/vdgb-yt-downloader.html) and downloaded a YouTube video. But the sound and video were out of sync. I played it in both VLC and Windows Media Player but none of them worked. Do you guys know how tot solve this problem without the help of a third party software because i am afraid of virus attack.
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1477 posts
1 project
#13141 Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
1 day, 2 hours ago

I would be actually afraid to use all these shady "free" video downloader software (which doesn't provide source) or "video download/converter" sides. Who knows what malware they are serving...

I suggest to use well known open-source that works very well for you YouTube videos - https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/ It will download YT videos just fine. It can also download videos from many other sites.