Handmade Hero » Forums » Code » Downloading videos using Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync)
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1636 posts
1 project
#3089 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years, 1 month ago Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on March 19, 2015, 12:58 a.m.

Do you understand that it is only average bitrate? For Handmade videos in a lot of scenes nothing is moving except Casey's head, so those frames can be compressed with very little bandwidth. Regions that doesn't change from frame to frame cost almost nothing for bitrate. Large bitrate only matters for scenes where everything is moving. And even if Casey is moving cursor in emacs so it scrolls up and down, that also can be encoded pretty efficiently because h264 allows to specify that fragments of new frame is simply a copy of something from old frame width adjusted intensity/color - here: Inter frame.

Another option is to encode video with constant bitrate, and that is probably what OBS does. Because it can not look into future (it's streaming!) and see that next frames will use very little bandwidth so it can spend more bits for current frame to improve quality. In this case you need to spend more bitrate to achieve same quality as average bitrate case. YouTube can do average bitrate compression, because processing of video can be done offline and you don't need to provide compressed data immediately.
naikrovek
Jeremiah Johnson
21 posts
#3179 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago Edited by Jeremiah Johnson on April 2, 2015, 4:26 p.m.

So is anyone else having trouble playing the videos? Probably not, but I want to ask.

I'm running Windows 10 on all machines I've tested the videos on, and I'm using VLC and/or QuickTime to test. I can record OBS videos myself and play them just fine, I just can't play Casey's. I hear audio, sometimes, in VLC and Quicktime, but never see video.

So, either the files that BitSync is giving me are .. "wrong" somehow, or Windows 10 is futzing things up.

Anyone else have playback issues?

edit: Just tested on my Surface Pro 3 and they all play fine, so the problem is Windows 10. Sorry for the interruption.

re-edit: VLC can't play the videos on Win8.1 or Win10 for me. The default windows video player can (not Windows Media Player, the Windows Store style fullscreen "Metro" app.)
Drexir
9 posts
#3199 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago

naikrovek
So is anyone else having trouble playing the videos? Probably not, but I want to ask.

I'm running Windows 10 on all machines I've tested the videos on, and I'm using VLC and/or QuickTime to test. I can record OBS videos myself and play them just fine, I just can't play Casey's. I hear audio, sometimes, in VLC and Quicktime, but never see video.

So, either the files that BitSync is giving me are .. "wrong" somehow, or Windows 10 is futzing things up.

Anyone else have playback issues?

edit: Just tested on my Surface Pro 3 and they all play fine, so the problem is Windows 10. Sorry for the interruption.

re-edit: VLC can't play the videos on Win8.1 or Win10 for me. The default windows video player can (not Windows Media Player, the Windows Store style fullscreen "Metro" app.)

VLC v2.2.0 has a known issue with playback of OBS videos. You can wait for version v2.2.1 or download the nightly build. Also MPC-HC has no problems playing back video. In fact any time VLC fails to playback properly I use MPC-HC.
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1636 posts
1 project
#3200 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago

They say that this will be fixed in VLC 2.2.1 version. So either wait for new release, or get nightly build if you want to use VLC.
cmuratori
Casey Muratori
810 posts
1 project

Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.

#3209 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago

Well, that answers a longstanding question of mine as well! I was always confused as to why the VLC on the machine on which I record Handmade Hero would crash if I tried to play one of the recorded videos, but Windows Media Player had no problem...

- Casey
boleban
Boleban
8 posts
#3345 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago Edited by Boleban on April 16, 2015, 7:11 a.m.

After i have used BitTorrent Sync for 30 days ,i find i can't switch the "Sync all" off.
[attachment=31]20150416150340.png[/attachment]
Which means if i want to use the individual files download functionality , i have to purchase a PRO licence. Am i right ? Thanks in advance.
boleban
Boleban
8 posts
#3346 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago

Thanks in advance.
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1636 posts
1 project
#3351 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on April 16, 2015, 5:35 p.m.

Oh, I somehow missed that selective sync is Pro feature.
One thing you could do is use ignore list - http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1910522
Create or edit .sync/IgnoreList text file that contains files that you don't want to download. For example, like this:
introduction_to_c_*
emacs_*
handmade_hero_day_0*
handmade_hero_day_100*

This will ignore all introduction to c, emacs and days 000-100 videos. It will download 101+ days.

Not the best solution, but should work fine. If anybody has any better idea or recommendation (maybe different software), please post it here. I'll keep sharing full library for now.
boleban
Boleban
8 posts
#3354 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago

I will try this solution later,it is informative .Thank you very much.
boleban
Boleban
8 posts
#3355 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
3 years ago Edited by Boleban on April 17, 2015, 1:16 a.m. Reason: word wrong spell

I just try out the solution mmozeiko referred , it works fine. So you can download individual files without a Pro license. It's cool. Thanks again.
Yaotzin
Chaz
3 posts
#3622 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
2 years, 11 months ago Edited by Chaz on May 17, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

Hello,
My Pro license recently also expired and no matter what I try I cant seem to get it to download any more files. The last file that I downloaded was day 093. I tried to do the ignore list suggestion but I didn't see any new files popup that I needed to tell the app the download. I took a look at the folder that I am using for the sync and the folder is completely empty. The archive folder however has all the videos up until episode 093. Is there any suggestions on how I can get the rest of the files?

Thank you,
Chaz H.
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1636 posts
1 project
#3627 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
2 years, 11 months ago

How many peers does BTSync show for folder? If sees none then that is some strange connection issue.

Are you downloading Casey capture videos, not the ones I downloaded from YouTube? I changed the key at some point and stopped providing videos from YouTube. So the original key doesn't work, you need to use newer one which is now in the first post.
Yaotzin
Chaz
3 posts
#3628 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for getting back to me. The app is showing 0 of 0 Peers online and has a status of No Peers. I just checked the ports and opened it up on my router thinking that might be a part of the issue. As for the key, I was using the old one and recently switched over to the new key.
Yaotzin
Chaz
3 posts
#3637 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
2 years, 11 months ago

This morning I looked back at my computer and it looks like everything is working now. Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
Chaz H
guitarm87
Peter
17 posts
#4104 Downloading videos using BitTorrent Sync
2 years, 9 months ago

It's a bit weird. Every file seems to work except: handmade_hero_day_025.mp4
I use VLC and it crashes everytime I try to open day 25.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Regards.