Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
117 posts
Code hacker/developer
Windows Internals 2017
Hello, I just wanted to mention the book called "Windows Internals" is a very helpful read for understanding how the inner working of Windows works since that is what is used for HH. It goes into much detail on how most of the significant parts of the OS works especially in terms of memory management, I/O, processes, threads, etc... I've found it very helpful because sometimes when you just dive into code without understanding the underlying system, there can be knowledge gaps which can bite you later. It is called Windows Internals, Part 1: System architecture, processes, threads, memory management, and more (7th Edition). This edition is brand new and covers Windows 10 as well. I purposely didn't include a link because I am not advertising the book, just recommending it.
Raytio
56 posts / 1 project
Windows Internals 2017
Cool very handy info. I wish there was a Mac OS X version.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Windows Internals 2017
I have seen people recommending this book: "Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach" by Amit Singh. It's a bit older and includes PowerPC stuff, but a lot of things really haven't changed in OSX internals. I haven't read it myself.

Another book I have seen people recommending is "Mac OS X and iOS Internals: To the Apple's Core" by Jonathan Levin.

And Apple itself has a lot of internal documentation available on their site. It's sometimes hard to find, but there's a lot of good stuff out there: https://developer.apple.com/libra...ernelProgramming/About/About.html
117 posts
Code hacker/developer
Windows Internals 2017
I'm glad Mac was brought up here. Been wanting to learn more about it.

By the way, does anyone know of a document which explains the differences between the architecture of the macOS vs. Windows? I'm sure there are a lot but I'm sure they are also similar in many ways.

Of course, I'll learn for myself as time goes on and I study Mac more especially, but was just wondering if there was some work out which describes this specifically? This is one of those harder things to Google because it comes with a lot of "Mac vs PC" consumer results rather OS implementation results.