Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
Why not make handmade hero run at 120fps?
felix_xb
At some points you'll start seeing multiple mouses. Partly because OSes are pretty terrible at displaying mouse cursors (I guess).

Umm.. are you sure it is OS problem? I think it is because of how human eyes work. Their refresh rate is lower than the speed you are moving mouse, that's why you start seeing "ghost" mouse cursors.

I think if you'll record screen capture, and play back slowly, you'll see only one mouse cursor at any time (if screen is captured perfectly).
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
It is also worth noting that the monitors refresh rate has nothing to do with how often it can actually display a frame completely. For example, a 120hz LCD monitor may take significantly more than 1/120th of a second for a white->black or black->white full pixel transition. So "ghosting", if you see it, can also be the monitor, not the game or operating system.

- Casey
Mattie
35 posts
mmozeiko
felix_xb
At some points you'll start seeing multiple mouses. Partly because OSes are pretty terrible at displaying mouse cursors (I guess).

Umm.. are you sure it is OS problem? I think it is because of how human eyes work. Their refresh rate is lower than the speed you are moving mouse, that's why you start seeing "ghost" mouse cursors.

I believe that's what they mean with the "Try moving your hand as fast as you can" bit. No matter how fast your hand moves, there won't at some point appear to be two hands, it'll just turn into a blur.