Handmade Hero»Forums»Code
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Learning C, Again
Edited by Ginger Bill on
:P

My main concern with LCTHW is not the C code per se (except in some cases where he is incorrect or overly opinionated) but the teaching style. That's what I do not like. LCTHW isn't just hard for beginner but plain esoteric. Valgrind for a beginner?!?! Use "must" use Mac or Linux?!?!

Personally, I have been going through a few thoughts about what I need from C and a language in general. At the moment, I've been sticking to C in my personal projects and to make up for the lack of features C has, I have just metaprogrammed them in.

I want to thank you Casey for making me realise that I can just create a meta programming tool! The tool at the moment can do introspection, structure generation, enum name to string, and polymorphic functions. And that all works in plain old C99! I think I might go one step further and just have an intermediate code replacement step for adding features such as defer and local functions.
Philip Ludington
14 posts
(tbd)
Learning C, Again
mmisu
@MrPhil

You can buy C Programming a modern approach by King at half a price from abebooks.com. Pretty sure you can get it at an even better price if you do some research. Also, if you know a student at a decent Uni you may ask him to borrow the book for you if you just want to have a look.

Thanks for the tip!
Den V
19 posts
None
Learning C, Again
I highly recommend "C Programming: A Modern Approach". As someone pointed out, it is used in schools as textbook, but when I took Programming in C class at a university sometime around 2005'ish, we used the first edition of the book and it's pretty cheap on Amazon.

The book is well written, explanations are good, and if I remember correctly, the author has very detailed Q&A discussions for each topic.
Philip Ludington
14 posts
(tbd)
Learning C, Again
den_v
I highly recommend "C Programming: A Modern Approach". As someone pointed out, it is used in schools as textbook, but when I took Programming in C class at a university sometime around 2005'ish, we used the first edition of the book and it's pretty cheap on Amazon.

The book is well written, explanations are good, and if I remember correctly, the author has very detailed Q&A discussions for each topic.

I ended up getting the book, I prefer physical things, easier for me to remember where things are down the road when I want to look up something.